Staff Working Remotely
How do I Begin working remotely?
The below information aims to guide you through the process of continuing your work, even though you are unable to meet physically. In general, try to communicate early and often, plan ahead, and follow-through.
You will need the following:
- Basic Windows computer or laptop, or Apple Mac.
- An Internet connection.
- Updated list of contact numbers for staff in your department and other important functional areas you will need to communicate with while working remotely.
For staff who use Skype for Business, ZOOM, or Google Meet for web conferencing with computer video/audio:
- USB webcam with microphone or headset (audio only).
SYSTEMS ACCESSIBLE VIA A WEB BROWSER (Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox)
LIEOC web-based systems and resources are accessible via a web browser with Internet.
- Banner INB – https://banner.ucawd.suny.edu/applicationNavigator/
- Banner SSB – https://banner.ucawd.suny.edu/FacultySelfService/
- ARGOS – https://ev.ucawd.suny.edu/Argos/awv
- Farmingdale Email – https://mail.farmingdale.edu
- Google Classroom – https://classroom.google.com
- Google MEET – https://meet.google.com
- LIEOC Google Email – https://gmail.com (Sign-in with: email@example.com)
- Office 365 / One Drive – https://farmingdale.edu (Click on myFSC to sign-in with FSC email username and password, then click on OFFICE 365 on left side of screen.
MEET is a full-featured secure video communication service for online/blended classrooms, office hours and administrative meetings. Users can join MEET meetings via desktops, mobile devices, telephones, and video-conferencing room systems.
Google MEET – https://meet.google.com
MEET Tutorial – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jhTTzFMZkY
How to Sign into Google
Step 1: Go to google.com
Step 2: Sign-in to Google
- When you’re signing in to Google and you’re asked to choose an account, you’ll type in your LIEOC email address which is formatted as follows: firstname.lastname@example.org This is case sensitive, so be sure to use all lowercase letters!
- Your initial password for Google will be sent via email (First time users will be prompted to change their passwords if they choose)
- If your name is Frydo Kihlo-River, your email address will be email@example.com but if that doesn’t work, try firstname.lastname@example.org and if that doesn’t work, try email@example.com
- If your name is Arthur Eve, your email address will be firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3: Once logged into Google you will have access to all of the applications in the Google Suite such as; Google Classroom, Google Meet, etc.
Step 4: If you are having trouble accessing your services visit Tech Support.
Docs is a real-time collaboration and document authoring tool. Multiple users can edit a document at the same time, while seeing each other’s’ changes instantaneously. Users can produce text documents, slide presentations, spreadsheets, drawings, and surveys.
Drive is a file storage and synchronization service that allows users to store files on their servers, synchronize files across devices, and share files.
Sheets is a web-based program for creating and editing spreadsheets. similar to Microsoft Excel.
An instant messaging service that provided both text and voice communication.
Slides is an online presentations app similar to Microsoft Power Point.
A web-based app used to create forms for data collection purposes. Students and teachers can use Google Forms to make surveys, quizzes, or event registration sheets similar to Microsoft Excel.
With Google Calendar, you can quickly schedule meetings and events and get reminders about upcoming activities, so you always know what’s next. Calendar is designed for teams, so it’s easy to share your schedule with others and create multiple calendars that you and your team can use together.
Use Google Calendar to schedule Meet video conference for a one to one or a one to many meeting.
A video conference app accessible via desktop computer, laptop, and Android or iOS device.
- 200 participants in one meeting
- No time limits
- Real time closed captioning
- Meeting host can record meeting and save it to G-Drive
Google Classroom’s purpose is to facilitate paperless communication between teachers and students and streamline educational workflow. Classroom allows teachers to create classes, post assignments, organize folders, and view work in real-time
Google Translate is a multilingual machine translation service to translate text. It offers a website interface, a mobile app for Android and iOS.
- Stay in contact with your supervisors regularly by using Google Meet, telephone, or email.
PLAN AHEAD TO MAINTAIN MOMENTUM
- Maintain contact and update your tasks for the day with your supervisors or co-workers
PROVIDE FEEDBACK AND ASSESS WORK
- Stay engaged with supervisors and co-workers through google hangouts/meet and show the progress that you have made
MAINTAIN Contact IN REAL-TIME
- Hold virtual office meeting by using Google Hangouts/Meet to speak to your supervisors or connect with them through telephone or email.