The Long Island Educational Opportunity Center of Farmingdale, New York, provides counseling and career services for all students enrolled in our programs. The counseling and instructional staff work very closely to ensure that students’ educational needs are met. The combined resources of counselors and the instructional staff provide the skills, support, and guidance needed by students to survive in the educational arena.
Counseling Services for Registered Students
Counseling services offered to registered students are intended to complement instructional components and to contribute to student retention and goal achievement.
Registered students meet with their Counselors to:
- Establish specific educational and/or vocational objectives;
- Establish a program plan to serve as the student’s road map through the LIEOC and onto college or a career;
- Register for subsequent semesters;
- Receive guidance and assistance to resolve personal and family problems affecting learning, achievement, and persistence;
- Obtain referrals to agencies they may be best suited to aid a student in addressing pressing issues relative to their personal and/or family situation.
The Career Counselors provide on-site support to those students who wish to move from the LIEOC into a career. Career Counselors provide workshops and one-on-one guidance on such topics as career exploration, job application techniques, and resume writing and provides students with leads on available jobs to which they may apply. The Career Counselors also coordinate student attendance at community and campus job fairs and provide referral assistance to One Stop Centers, the Department of Labor, and Employment agencies.