Allied Health Programs
DID YOU KNOW THAT:
1) That the healthcare industry is the largest and fastest growing employment sector on Long Island and in New York
2) Hospitals, nursing homes, hospice and home health agencies are hiring certified nursing assistants
3) The Long Island Educational Opportunity Center (LIEOC) can help you to achieve your goal of becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant and its FREE for those who qualify
4) Average salary on long island for Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) – $17.21 per hour (2021)
5) Your goal can be achieved in a two-part course at the LIEOC – our programs are offered day (9:30 am – 1:00 pm – Monday, Wednesday and Thursday) and evening (6:00 –9:30 pm – Monday, Wednesday and Thursday) and weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
Part one – Pre-Nursing Assistant – Online – Fall 2021
Part two – Certified Nursing Assistant – Hybrid (Online and In-Person – Spring 2022
Classes are starting on September 13th, 2021 – Enroll now and complete the application requirements – go to the LIEOC.org and apply. Give yourself the opportunity to grow and achieve your dreams here at the LIEOC.
Certified Nursing Assistant
This program prepares the student as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA). Through classroom studies, lab, and clinical practice, the student will be prepared to assist the nurse in providing care for the resident/patient.
- Approximately 10-11 weeks (One Semester)
- Separate testing fee for New York State Certification Exam
- Brentwood, Farmingdale and Hempstead Locations
Recertification Refresher Course - CNA
The program is designed for students who are officially listed on the New York State Nurse Aide Registry, because they have completed the certification process, and have not worked the minimum required hours to maintain their certification and it has lapsed. The program prepares students to take the New York State Certified Nursing Aide (CNA) examination which does not require a clinical or in-person skill training because in order to obtain the original certification they had to complete all the components. The components consist of the completion of a state certified program, skill and clinical competency and a successful completion of the Prometric examination. The curriculum includes a review of Anatomy and Physiology, Fundamentals of Patient Care and Infection Control with an inclusion for COVID-19. The training places emphasis on reviewing essential nursing basic skills, current nursing aide safety precaution and test preparation. The program will also review the basics of personal care for the elderly and home-bound, and patient care for those in nursing homes, assisted living centers, and hospitals, including appropriate patient care, bed-making, feeding and monitoring of vital signs. The program also has a College Connection and Job Placement pathway.
Planned Length and Contact Hours – The Nurse’s Aide Recertification course will meet day and/or evening Monday through Thursday from 9:30 am – 1:00 pm (Day) and 6:00 pm – 9:30 pm (Evening) for 7 weeks (112 contact hours).
Direct Support Professional
Program Description – This program prepares students for entry-level employment as Direct Support Professionals. Students are trained to work with mentally ill, and/or developmentally disabled individuals of all ages, to help them attain independence, individuality, and productivity. Students obtain their certificates for program completion, Strategies for Crisis Intervention and Prevention (SCIP), and Approved Medication Administration Personnel (AMAP). Students also receive certification in CPR and First Aid.
The pre-requisites for enrollment include the following:
- Minimum 18 years old
- TABE scores in reading: 7.0 and in math: 5.0
- High School Diploma or HSE
- Ability to pass a physical exam and background check
- No felony convictions
- Driver’s License or permit, and driving abstract from DMV
Planned length and contact hours/week – Direct Support Professional 105 hours/ 9 weeks at three day per week.
The program is an introduction to the Certified Nursing Assistant program. The instruction will include a basic nursing assistant core program along with communications and documentation skills, computer literacy, workplace math and language and professional development.
- Approximately 13 weeks (One Semester)Pre-CNA student will earn American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Certificate
- Eligibility to advancement into Nursing Assistant Accelerated Program
- Each Student must maintain a passing grade of 75%, and 85% on the final exam
- Students who complete the Advance Nursing Assistant Accelerated Summer Program will be eligible to take the NYS Certified Nursing Assistant Exam.
The course content combined with successful program completion qualifies the student to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) administered by the PTCB. The student will become a nationally certified Pharmacy Technician and be able to hold the designation of CPhT.
- Approximately 14-15 weeks (One Semester)
- Separate testing fee for Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam
- Farmingdale and Brentwood Locations!
Physical Therapy Aide
Rehabilitation Aides will typically perform work delegated by licensed physical and occupational therapists in accordance with state rules and regulations.
- Assist in treatment in hospitals, rehabs, and outpatient offices
- Supervise patient exercises and modalities
- Be more involved in the home care setting
- Learn office management techniques
Time: 8 weeks
Home Health Aide
Home Health Aides (HHAs) – will typically provide personal care and basic health care in a residential setting. Patients are primarily elderly, although they can be persons with long term disabilities and or illnesses.
This NYS approved curriculum combines classroom work with laboratory practice, clinical experience and a certification exam. Upon successful completion the individual will be certified as a Home Health Aide and qualified to work in either a home setting or an assisted living facility.
- An approved physical exam is required
- An approved background check is required
- Time: 4 weeks
Emergency Medical Technician
This program leads to State Certification as an EMT-B. All students must have a valid NYS Driver License. Students are trained to provide care in life threatening or potentially life threatening conditions and to prevent further harm before a patient is moved. Students complete a rigorous course including didactic and practical instruction as required by New York State.
- Approximately 14 weeks (One Semester)
- Separate testing fee for New York State Certification Exam
- Farmingdale Location Only!
Security Guard plus CPR/AID Certification
This program provides students with instruction leading to the NYS requirements for a Security Guard License.
- Security guards protect property against theft, vandalism, terrorism, and illegal activity
- Security guards work in a wide variety of places, including public buildings, retail stores, and office buildings
- Requirements: No high school diploma requirement. Entrance exam TABE
Time: 7 days!!